Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Band Practice Tuesday!

For those who don't know, I play bass for the youth praise/worship band for Tree of Life church (aka, Remnant) Practice is every Tuesday, and service starts Wednesday nights at 7pm. (go!)

I figure that now would be a good time to clear up a few questions I've been asked regarding me and my musical instruments:

Q: You play electric guitar too?
Though I play bass there, I can definitely say that it isn't my primary and I would prefer electric, but it's where I'm needed. I play a variety of instruments, including: Acoustic, Electric, Bass, Keyboard/synths/piano, Drums, Vocals (when nobody is home) and occasionally the Air drums.

Q: How long have you been playing?:

Electric: 4ish years
Acoustic: 3ish years
Bass: 2 years
Drums: 1.5 years
Keyboard: 1 year
Keep in mind I play my instruments every single day, so despite the number you see, I actually feel further than them.

Q: What kinda setup do you use?
For my electric guitar, I have a heavily customized black and gold Ibanez Gio GSZ120. I can post up a picture of her later. For effects processing and amps: I run my monster cable to my M-Audio MobilePre Pre-amp, where it then goes into my computer. I have some software programs that I use as an amp and for effects, sounds great too! The first program is called Guitar Rig 4, which is great for clean, rock, and overdriven tones, then my second program, Amplitube 2, which is good for my Bass and harder rock tones. Guitar Rig 4 is great though, and I prefer it heavily against Amplitube 2. Lastly, to hear the audio, I either use my Samson MediaONE studio monitors, or my Sennheiser studio headphones. My next guitar will definitely be a PRS guitar, as they are a very classy and great brand. I love everything about the guitars, and they feel amazing.

For Bass, I use an ESP LTD. Definitely not a brand I like, but hey, the bass was a blessing and I couldn't pass up the offer. Likewise with electric, I run the bass through Amplitube 2 and listen through my studio headphones. Whenever I play live on Wednesday nights, I use the churches amazing  I'm looking for a new bass, preferably something closer towards the Ibanez SRT900DX, but I will have to look more towards what I would want. I'm not big on out-of-the-ordinary shapes, or radical shaped guitars.

For Keyboard, I use an M-Audio Keystation 49e running through a software synth called Reason 4. It is amazing, and some nights I can spend hours just making patches and beautiful sounding pads. I hope to sometime get the M-Audio Axiom 61 key, as it has more than what I would need.

For Drums, I had a old Roland Electric Drum kit for awhile. After it being noisier than I thought (even for an electric) I traded it for a wealth of musical gear. I drum at Remnant whenever I can, and at various friends houses, but one day, I will have a nice kit! Im looking at a Pearl kit right now, white with black hardware, and Zildjian cymbals, but if I can get anything nice right now, I'll be happy. Drumming is the most expensive of any instrument

Q: What style music do you play? 
Mostly, I love to play the Praise/Worship songs that we play at our church. It has a definite rock basis to it and is super fun. It's also great for learning music theory and learning the guitar. I always here creative new stuff and ways to put the songs together with it, and lyrically it glorifies God. An example song that I like to play would be From God Above by Hillsong United. One of my fav's. I used to be obsessed with metal, and it in a way shaped my style too. One of my old favorite bands was Avenged Sevenfold for their albums "City of Evil" and their self-titled album (listen to Afterlife). Overtime, I learned pretty much all of their songs from that album.

Q: So, all in all, how many instruments do you have?
Currently? Only a few that I use. I have had numbers of guitars in the past though.

Historical Fact: I have owned many guitars and classical instruments too. Here we go, from first to last! First Act Electric, Fender Squier Strat, Fender NIN Strat, Ibanez Gio Gsz120, Ibanez Soundgear Bass, ESP F-?? Bass, Esp Ltd B-50, Sivertone Electric (dad gave it to me, didnt even ask), Alverez acoustic (ditto), and an Emperador Acoustic (ditto).

Though I am blessed to have all this equipment, I would like to start upgrading what I have. I have a little more to add, but gotta go for now, so I will edit this later. Peace!

2 comments: